Pages

Friday, May 30, 2014

Warning!! Offensive language may be in this blog!!

I am appalled at the language I see on social media and in the local schools.  What has happened to our society that we can no longer communicate without falling in the gutter?

Are we really a nation of people that doesn't know their own native language to the extent that slang and gutter talk has become the norm?

I have not always used the best of grammar.  I'm sure that if you want to pick my postings apart, you will find many errors.  But really, people, what have we become?

I am told that the teachers (some not all) of our local high school use the f word on a regular basis.  Why?  Really???  There are other gutter talk going on there, too.  I attended a football game last year and heard many of the students and ADULTS using foul language.  And this at a SCHOOL function.  It's simply asinine.

Why are our so called educated people unable to communicate verbally?

I think we've become a slapdash nation.  In the process we've become discombobulated and even fatuous in our day to day lives.

For educators especially to fall under this vapid trap is absurd. In my opinion, it is nonsensical and downright inexcusable.  I send my children to school to learn how to speak correctly, not learn the local gutter gibberish.  They can learn that anywhere.  Where do they go to learn real English?

It's simple.  Get a dictionary.  Learn one word a week.

The other day I read a post some one left on my computer.  It was from a guy to a gal.  She was making mention that she had a sunburn.  So he types back "put some vagisil on it" .  I knew what was being said ... so I asked "do you even know what you said?"

"Ummmm. no. not really.  They just say that all the time in the locker room".

After I regained my composer, I proceeded to explain that, this product isn't designed for the face, but rather the other end.  He was rather embarrassed when he realized what he had said to a gal he rather admired at the time.

He was able to fix it by backtracking and inserting vinegar instead.  I then chose this time to educate this individual.  Explaining that it might be wise to find out what something means FIRST.

I hear children and sometimes their parents (where do they learn it anyway) saying the 'f''''ing' car, or tree, or some other object.  Do they realize how ignorant they sound??  I think not.  This can't happen.  Cars, trees and such can't do that.  Are they really that ignorant???  Really???  Or are we so slapdash, we don't even try anymore.

I would like to challenge people to dig out their dictionary (or download an app).  Learn our beautiful language.  Will you make mistakes?? Of course you will, but do we really have to listen to your gutter talk while we're trying to buy our groceries??  Learn how to verbalize what you are thinking, with real words.

I am a Christian, but I'm not coming at this from that point of view.  I'm coming to this from the educational point.  I don't understand why educators are not rising up and standing against this onslaught of butchered language.  People unable to properly state their mindset and get their point across without blubbering all over themselves and making themselves look like imbeciles.

Yes, I get the freedom of speech statements.  But just know, when I hear you talk like that, I'm thinking, "WHAT AN IDIOT"  I have the freedom of speech, also.

So, go ahead, look foolish, be ignorant, it's your life.  But as for me I choose to at least attempt to educate myself.  I want to continue to learn this beautiful English.  Learn some new words.  Learn how to use them.  Express myself in a logical manner, one that isn't appalling to me or anyone else.

As I'm getting ready to close this little rant.  I want to leave this with you.

How do you know when to use hear or here?

Well, when you want someone to know that they have been heard, and that you hear them, you use the one that has an ear in it.  Simple.  Hear.

If you want to refer to a place, as in here, you can remember which one to use by this.  I am here, if I were not here, I'd have to be somewhere else.  ( + here) so, it's here or +here.  See it?  Here or there.  So, that reminds me that here and there are places.  There has here in it, so when I'm referring to a place, these are the correct words to use.

Speaking of there, if I'm wanting to say they're as in they are, I simply repeat it to myself in long English.  I wouldn't say "this is they are book"  but I might say "they are (or they're) looking for this book."

Their is a pronoun.  So, to help us remember, we see the I (which is a pronoun).

There are different ways to learn.  We all have triggers that help us remember.  Some do better to simply memorize, and there's nothing wrong with that.

It breaks my heart, and I cringe when I see our English watered down to  nothingness.  It's a disgrace to our society.

Let's at least be people of our word, and learn what we are saying, so as not to embarrass ourselves and others along the way.

Just saying....

That's what on my mind today, what is on yours?

Ronda

No comments:

Post a Comment